Monday, January 14, 2019

Surprise! I’m Moving to Paris

sunset over the Eiffel Tower and the rooftops of Paris
Posted: 1/14/19 | January 14th, 2019

Ever since I first set eyes upon it, I’ve wanted to move to Paris. It was everything I’ve imagined it to be. A city that oozed sophistication and history from its cobblestone streets, ancient buildings, cafes, restaurants, and Parisians strolling down the street.

I loved the lights, the food, the music, the people, that special je ne sais quoi.

I know I idealize Paris.

I know living somewhere is a lot different than dropping in for a few weeks at a time.

But I’ve always wanted to be the clichéd American travel writer who wakes up, has his coffee, and writes on his balcony or in some café while lingering over wine for hours.

I’ve always wanted to immerse myself in Paris. To learn the language and everything one could possibly know about the city.

And so, since there is no time like the present, it’s time to finally do it.

I’m moving to Paris!

Not forever. Just until June.

Maybe “moving” is a strong word. Maybe an “extended stay” might be a better term.

I don’t care.

I feel that is long enough to say I’m (temporarily) “moving” to Paris.

It will be my base of operations. My sole domicile. My home.

Next month, I’ll return from Colombia, pack my things, and by the end of the month, be ensconced in the City of Lights.

 

I know my time there will fly by. I remember the summer I spent in Stockholm and how quickly that came to an end. Right as I started meeting people, it was time to go.

Luckily, Americans get to stay six months in France, so I’ll have a longer time to play with.

I have a lot of plans for that time:

I am going to write — a lot!

I’m going to find a ’20s swing dance group.

I’m going to seek out all the best jazz the city has to offer.

I’m going to visit every tourist attraction in town. Just because.

I plan to learn French.

My 2019 mantra is “do less but better.” I plan to cut down the number of things I do — but go deeper into them.

I’m going to focus on living. I plan to work in the mornings, sightsee in the afternoon, check in with the team, and have long dinners.

Nomadic Matt posing in front of the Eiffel Tower

Paris is the first step in making that happen.

I’m not over New York. Just over living there.

New York City will always be a part of me, and I’m glad I was here so much this year, but I don’t have good habits in the city: I’m out too often and too late, and I don’t find myself sleeping a lot. I don’t have a productive workspace or a kitchen. Many of my friends have started to move away or are planning to have kids.

The life I want to lead is not found there any longer.

My time there has come to an end.

And I’m OK with it. Since I decided to do this, I haven’t had one moment of regret.

So before June brings TravelCon and July brings my next book and book tour (more on that later), I feel like this is the perfect window to live out all my Paris writer dreams.

Opportunity is knocking.

If you don’t answer the door, it will move on to the next person.

So I’m doing it.

I’m finally going to live in Paris!

And I’m pretty damn excited about it!

Get Your In-Depth Budget Guide to Paris!

Nomadic Matt's Guide to ParisFor more in-depth information, check out my guidebook to Paris written for budget travelers like yourself! It cuts out the fluff found in other guides and gets straight to the practical information you need to travel and save money in one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world. You’ll find suggested itineraries, budgets, ways to save money, on- and off-the-beaten-path things to see and do, non-touristy restaurants, markets, and bars, and much more! Click here to learn more and get started.

Book Your Trip to Paris: Logistical Tips and Tricks

Book Your Flight
Find a cheap flight by using Skyscanner or Momondo. They are my two favorite search engines because they search websites and airlines around the globe so you always know no stone is left unturned.

Book Your Accommodation
You can book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere other than a hostel, use Booking.com as they consistently return the cheapest rates for guesthouses and cheap hotels. I use them all the time.

Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, and cancellations. It’s comprehensive protection in case anything goes wrong. I never go on a trip without it as I’ve had to use it many times in the past. I’ve been using World Nomads for ten years. My favorite companies that offer the best service and value are:

Looking for the best companies to save money with?
Check out my resource page for the best companies to use when you travel! I list all the ones I use to save money when I travel – and I think will help you too!

Looking for more information on visiting Paris?
Check out my in-depth destination guide to Paris with more tips on what to see, do, costs, ways to save, and much, much more!

The post Surprise! I’m Moving to Paris appeared first on Nomadic Matt's Travel Site.



from Nomadic Matt's Travel Site http://bit.ly/2VV0Noj

No comments:

Post a Comment