Tuesday, July 26, 2016

How would you leave a legacy to your great-great-grandson, 200 years from now? What would you tell him?

Dear Son,

You and I are strangers. We would pass each other in a crowded place, as indeed we now do. I would not recognise the world you live in as you read this, nor would you recognise mine as I sit at my desk to write it. You have the advantage of seeing my time through the lens of history, however inaccurate it may be.  I have only my imagination to explore yours.  With all my heart, I hope your world is better than what I imagine it may be.

I, too, am a descendant.  My ancestors of 200 years from my time left me no communication that has survived. They left me no personal instructions as to how to live my life, or how to face the challenges they might expect me to encounter. Perhaps that is best. They could not give me a map to a land they never dreamed of, nor can I you.

But I can give you an idea of what I consider to have been the pillars of my life. They are not profound, they are rather common. I was influenced by my religious faith and by the writings and actions of those from history whom I admired. They were people of great convictions, great courage, great inner strength. Great vision. Some were prophets. Some were emperors and kings, others generals, learners, teachers, writers, explorers, creators. Many were men and women who strove and sacrificed, whose names were "writ in water".

All were dreamers. As am I.

I presume your world still values these things. If it does not, may you have the strength to resist conforming to it, if in no other way than in your mind. These have shown me my way through my world, and I have sought their wisdom - or folly - many times in my darkest days.

Had we occupied the same time, I would urge you to pursue them. On these, I think (and I hope), time has no effect. Value goodness. Be kind. Be forgiving of others, and as importantly, of yourself. See beyond the obvious. See what is not there. Be true to your convictions. Keep promises. Love unconditionally. Do not expect to go unbattered by life. Simply know which battles to fight. To the best of my knowledge, these things are universal.

In the end, the greatest treasure is to leave a smile on those who remember you.

PAX



Read other answers by Rick Bruno on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2attgh1

No comments:

Post a Comment