Monday, July 25, 2016

What kind of clique do/did you belong to in high school?

In the UK high school generally refers to the school you attend between 11 and 16, so this is what I'll be writing about.

In my first high school I was bullied rather badly, so ‘outcast’ I guess, but you don't want to hear about that. So I'll be writing about my second one.

I was a controversial kid. Those that liked me really liked me. Those that hated me really hated me. But everyone in that school knew my name. I was considered ‘the smart kid’ first, and ‘the tough kid’ second. If there was a fight, chances are I was involved. You learn a lot when you get bullied, and I learned how to defend myself from both physical and verbal attack.

I was probably even more controversial among the teachers. Those that respected students liked me, in fact if you didn't know better you might have called me a teachers pet. But those that demanded respect and obedience really did not like me. I commonly corrected teachers on their mistakes and broke any rule I didn't see as meaningful. Add in the fighting and you can see why certain members of staff wanted my guts for garters.

I was seen as nerdy, but also as cool. I was still an outsider, I don't think anyone would have named me their best friend, but that's how I liked it. I left an impression, and it wasn't by being prom king, so I consider my high school days a success.



Read other answers by Jake Williams on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29UObsG

No comments:

Post a Comment