Thursday, July 21, 2016

What is the most humane gesture you have ever encountered?

Years ago when I was working at a club, I witnessed a could-have-been fight outside one night.

It was basically a drunk, angry, stout-looking Asian dude versus a taller, bigger white dude.

I don't know what happened exactly before that, but the Asian guy was going ape shit crazy on the other guy.

He was screaming.

He was flinging his arms about, ready to explode.

He was just angry.

All the while, the white guy was standing there, not reacting at all.

After a bit, the white guy turned his back on the Asian guy.

Then suddenly, the Asian guy just jumped up, used both of his hands and smacked the white guy's back, really hard.

What happened next?

Nothing.

The white guy didn't do a thing. He just walked on and went on his way.

The only reaction he had was when he made a grimace on his face that read, "Ahh geez. This guy is drunk, angry and obviously overreacting. I am not going to aggravate the situation."

That was that.

So to me, this was one of the most humane gestures I ever saw.

I saw a physically big person who had all the right reasons to attack somebody, with the obvious advantages at that become the bigger person.

I really respected that. I don't think I could even do that.

Many of us dudes from all around the world suffer from an ego problem, and that ego gets blown up when we get drunk.

We think it's all about winning. We think we must get even. We think we should get revenge. We think it's all about violence and settling the score, whatever that is.

But it takes a real champ to be the bigger person and do the right thing.

It takes real courage to use your words and walk away.

That white guy did it all that night. If he unleashed his beast, I am very certain the asian guy would be at the very least, hospitalized.

Violence never solves shit. It may be easier said than done, but it's the way it should be.

If anything, you would look like the biggest loser.

That Asian guy was downright ugly and pitiful that night.

Whoa! You read my entire answer! As a reward, here's my free book: 12 Things Happy People Don't Give a Fuck About!



Read other answers by Alden Tan on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29QSIb1

No comments:

Post a Comment