Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Can you post the difference between your first and your latest sketch, being a self-taught artist?

Looking at my old pics, I see I haven't progressed THAT much (especially when it comes to drawing faces because those were always greatly ahead of everything else I drew), at least compared to progresses some of my artist friends have made in much shorter periods; partly because there were always long periods of time when I didn't draw at all and I quite dramatically regressed.

But there has definitely been a development in what I challenge myself to do - and what I can manage without a ton of references. I can now also pull off within a couple of hours what used to take half a day a few years ago.
I've always been a tad sloppy and always will be, I'm afraid, that's an unfortunate character flaw of mine...

Unfortunately, I don't have any old sketches scanned from when I was an absolute beginner - but let me compare a few pics from my DA gallery:

Me and pencil, about 14 years ago. Took *ages* and a shitload of reference pictures.

Last year. I definitely put more thought now into HOW I use the tool. I'm much less afraid of hatching and using sharper lines. Still dig prominent noses. Still kinda suck at drawing hands.
This one actually took less time to complete than the one above.

***

Me and ink/marker+watercolour.

14 years ago.

2014 or 2015, not sure:

14 years ago I wouldn't have even contemplated trying to do a proper background/actual setting.

***

Me & Tolkien's elves some 11 years ago:

Two years ago:

Both took about the same amount of time to finish.



Read other answers by Helena Štěpánová on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29yMPze

No comments:

Post a Comment