Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Do abandoned cats get really sad?

I am pretty sure they do.

Let me tell you the story of our newest cat, Rufus. He was an abandoned cat who showed up near our house. He was extremely skittish at first; simply looking at him from inside the house through two sets of windows was enough to scare him away once he noticed. But he kept coming back for the food and eventually, he began to recognize my voice and came running once he heard me.

After a month and a half, we decided to adopt him. When the big night came, I grabbed Rufus (by this time, I was able to hold him) and we took him down to our basement, to keep him isolated from the rest of our cats until he would be checked out by the vet.

So here is what happened. I put Rufus down on the floor... he looked around... and while I am careful not to anthropomorphise animals, I swear I saw a look of recognition on his little face. The next moment, he tiptoed around for a second or two, found a nice cozy spot (the basement is finished, with a carpeted floor), curled up and went to sleep right there, on the spot!

I have very little doubt in my mind that Rufus at that moment recognized that he now has a new home where he is safe. It was an amazing experience for us.

So yes, it is hard to escape the conclusion that animals like cats feel sadness at being abandoned, and appreciate a loving, caring home.

Oh, and here is Rufus, saying hi.



Read other answers by Viktor T. Toth on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2aaW902

No comments:

Post a Comment