Thursday, July 14, 2016

I just found out that someone I've been dog-walking for is the highest ranking individual in a military branch. Should I start calling him sir?

I think you should call him however he introduced himself to you. If he was like "Hi, I'm Dwight, but you can call me Ike, kiddo", you should most definitely call him Ike.

If you're not on a first name basis, how did he introduce himself?  Did he ask you to call him "Mr. Eisenhower"?  If so, you can switch back and forth between that and "sir" without too much awkwardness.

If you got introduced to him as "General" or "President" Eisenhower, and  yet somehow you didn't realize who you were talking to despite the strong hint, then you might want to let him know that you realize you fell short on a measure of expected formality. Apparently he doesn't mind too, too much--you're still walking his dog.



Read other answers by Annika Schauer on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29Gwbn2

No comments:

Post a Comment