Monday, July 18, 2016

What is the best advice your mother ever gave you?

Don't just look for a girlfriend/boyfriend. Look for a team-mate.

Now, this may sound like my mom was simply advising me to use gender-neutral language. And although she is an academic, she actually meant that when searching for a girl to spend my life with, I should look be looking beyond the most attractive girl out there who won't find kissing me disgusting. Just as in sports as in relationships, that means finding someone who values communication, who allows you to make mistakes and correct them, who has your back no matter what (not just when you're winning), who is committed to your relationship, who pushes you to be the best person you can be, and who passes the ball (i.e. is comfortable sharing responsibilities equally).

My mom's sports analogy is still the best relationship advice I've ever been given, hands down. I begin every preliminary life-coaching session with it. I've even found my own life team-mate, Joanna. Thanks mom!


Read other answers by Mark Healy on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29IE6LU

No comments:

Post a Comment