Thursday, July 21, 2016

What's the last thing you said to your mom and dad?

Mine's sad.  I never got to speak with my Dad before he died, my mother made certain I would have no contact.  She was sick for a few years, and I even moved back in to care for her.  I left her once her abuse became directed at my toddler son.  She was in a lot of pain, and developed addictions to not only all her patches and pills, but also massive amounts of cocaine and alcohol.  The last time I spoke to her, I was homeless in the middle of a harsh winter, just found out I was pregnant and had PTSD.  I called just to hear her voice, all I wanted was some emotional support.  She told me she would not speak to me unless I had gone through rehab.  (Mind you, I wasn't ON drugs - at all).  I got so upset (I was at a payphone with coins some stranger had given me), that I said "F*** You then!!" and slammed down the receiver.  I gave birth several months later while living in a domestic violence shelter.  I spoke to my grandmother (mom's mom), who encouraged me to "never shut the door"... so I sent her a birthday card, I'm not sure that she ever saw it, because she died that week.

Oddly, family and strangers always remarked that I look "JUST like her", to the point that it was "creepy" seeing my face at her funeral.  When my daughter was born, and grandma asked who she looked like, I simply said "she looks like US".  I see my own mother in my daughter's face, the similarities are striking.  In that way, she isn't really "gone".



Read other answers by Ayesha Gleckman on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2ae8KzN

No comments:

Post a Comment