Thursday, September 29, 2016

How did you foil/dodge someone else's attempt to cheat or deceive you?

I get hit up a lot by scammers looking to sell stolen goods or fraudulent goods. I have a ton of stories but here are some better ones:

  1. Hanging out with my friend at a cafe, I went outside to the curb for a smoke. Some random dude comes up next to me and lights up a joint. He looks at me looking at him, he offers me a puff. I say no thanks, not right now. He asks if I wanted to buy some weed. I think, good God… do I look like I do drugs? So I tell him sure, I’ll buy some only if it’s good, where’s the drugs and how much does he have? He asks how much do I want? I say I will take all you got, a pound, 5 pounds, whatever, where’s your shit? He looks at me all nervous… Like… Really? You want it all? I look at him and said yep, I’ll take everything you got, cash. Let’s go, where is it, in your car? I’ll follow you to your car. He gulps, stutters, and then runs off down the street at a super high speed.
  2. Taking a break at a conference, standing in front of the hotel, having a smoke with my non-police coworker. Car pulls up, out jumps this older black man, runs to me and asks if I wanted to buy a ring. He shows me some silver ring, obviously worn, but not too bad overall in condition. Nothing spectacular or anything. He says he needs money and he is selling his wife’s ring. I look at the ring and sees some engraving inside with initials. I ask him what’s his name. I ask what’s his wife’s name. He responds. I then ask him how come his name and his wife's name both don’t match the initials in the ring? I ask him where did he get the ring. He stumbles something about some jewelry shop here and there and gets more and more nervous and then he jumps back in his car and speeds off.
  3. Coming out of court in a suit, walking to my car, this van pulls up and the rear sliding door opens, some slimy looking dude says he has a new set of speakers for sale, cheap. The scam is that the speakers are either empty shells with nothing in them or just a box of bricks. He asked for $100, I was tired, so I just pulled out my badge and told them to fuck off. He drove off screaming obscenities at me.

Now, if you are wondering why I didn’t take police action, it’s because I had no backup, and I was off-duty in civilian clothes. It’s not worth getting involved in something that I would not get immediate backup and might end up in a tussle with me and my off-duty gun and no restraints. Not worth it.



Read other related questions on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2deecUk

No comments:

Post a Comment