Wednesday, August 31, 2016

If you decided early in your life to be childless and decades have now passed, what are your current thoughts about your original decision?

I decided very early in my life (when I was in high school), that I absolutely do not want children. EVER. The reason at the time was that knowing myself, I didn't believe I would be a good mother. I was selfish and moody, I had ambition and life goals, and children just didn't fit into those dreams. I don't think giving birth will miraculously change me into some saint who would do whatever for a little person.

And both of my parents are workaholics, they divorced and both remarried (multiple times). Looking at them, knowing that I got the genes and learn from the "best", I know I have no chance to be a good mother. 

So I decided then, I will not have children.

that's about 15 years ago.

My decision hasn't changed. The reasons haven't changed much either. I never liked children. I never had that "biological motherly need" to hold a baby. In fact, I'd rather stay the hell away from them. Infants and toddlers cry too much, young children are just annoying, teenagers are the worst. I don't even want to deal with people who're under the age of 21. Call me cold-blooded bitch, I don't care, I don't want to hold your baby and make crazy screaming sounds. I'd rather hold a kitten and make crazy screaming sounds.

I still have a lot of dreams, now it's more like tangible, step by step career plans. I want to do a lot of things with my life, none of them involves starting a family, cooking for my dear husband and changing diapers. I feel quite strongly about it because I feel that I need to defend my choices, all the time. Sometimes it's the obvious questions, the look, the "you'll regret it when you're old and miserable and you have no one"; sometimes it's the seemingly harmless statement such as "if you haven't been a mother, you're not complete as a woman!" I hate it. motherhood is great, yeah, I get it. But there's no need to glorify a simple biological function.

So what do I do when I'm old and sick? I invest in 401K and buy myself some topnotch medical/hospice services.


Read other answers by Feifei Wang on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2bRzl36

No comments:

Post a Comment