Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Are there many people who regard Star Wars as childish and trivial?

I'm in my sixth decade on the planet, and when ever I hear someone say that something is childish, two things happen:

  1. I get more interested in whatever that is, and
  2. I feel a little sorry for the person who declared it childish.

Here are some great moments from my childhood:

  • Wanting to be an astronaut after watching Armstrong step out onto the moon.
  • Hugging my teddy bear.
  • Riding a bicycle.
  • Watching Johnny Quest, and dreaming about how cool it would be to fly around with my scientist dad and Hadji and Bandit.
  • Playing Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Robotron for the first time.
  • Building a telescope with my dad.  Because we could.
  • Christmas morning.
  • And, of course, seeing Star Wars for the first time.

Childish things are awesome and joyful.  Adult things are often dreary, tedious, and depressing.

Is Star Wars: The Force Awakens childish?  Yes, I hope so. I think the world can use a big dose of childish.



Read other answers by Mark VandeWettering on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2bPPFo0

No comments:

Post a Comment