Thursday, June 30, 2016

Are Germans proud to be German?

I would like to add a simpler answer. I am not proud of being a German, since it is not an accomplishment of mine to have been born here rather than elsewhere.

However, I feel some patriotism. It's best described as similar to being a loyal supporter of a football club. You are happy when they play well, and annoyed when they let the side down.  When I am in a foreign country and some tourist behaves like a jerk, I really hope they aren't German (if only because my foreign partner would gleefully point it out to me!) . When I look at the result of the European elections and I see the voter turnout in Germany is rising, I think "well done us". Patriotism should just not be taken too seriously.


Read other related questions on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/29jaFkT

No comments:

Post a Comment