Monday, November 28, 2016

If you could end all suffering, would you?

No, I wouldn't, not on an existential level. If suffering didn't exist, neither would pleasure or triumph.

I can't say that if I had the power to eliminate certain levels of suffering -- starvation, oppression, major depression or crippling fear -- I wouldn't. But suffering is relative. We talk about "first world problems," and the funny thing is, even when we realize we have nothing to complain about, we still do, even when the complaint is never voiced. One person's suffering is another person's inconvenience, and vice versa.

Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing, but I sometimes embrace suffering. When I drink too much, I think of my hangover as a reminder of the consequences. If I kill myself at the gym, I think about how great I'll feel afterward. If I didn't get hung over, I might end up with a drinking problem. If I didn't get the endorphin rush, I might not be motivated to exercise. It's an equalizer of sorts. And it's a motivating force.


Read other answers by Caroline Zelonka on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2fGyUKg

No comments:

Post a Comment