Friday, December 30, 2016

Has your 2 year old ever made you cry?

Yes.

Two weeks after my sons second birthday, his father and I decided to amicably split up. It was a difficult decision. I had to move to my dads house and it was over 20 miles away from the home i’d built with my sons dad.

Everything was as fine as could be expected given the circumstances. I was confused as to how my life would change. I was unsure if I could cope with becoming a single mum.

I had breastfed Rio until he was 18months old. He would come to me for food then immediately put his arms out for daddy. He went to him for comfort always. Not me. I felt deflated. I had been given the gift of a wonderful son, something I had always deeply desired and I thought I had done something wrong. He hadn't bonded with me as much and I couldn't fathom why.

I never spoke about it, I just carried on.

I moved to my dads and we decided we’d share custody. All seemed fine. Rio’s daddy took him the first weekend.

When his dad was dropping him off to me he sat and chatted for a while. When he got up to leave, sorrow crept across Rio’s face. His eyes were consumed by tears and his bottom lip began to tremble.

It was all about to kick off. I sensed it.

My heart filled with dread as I watched the sadness overcome my son’s beautiful face.

He grabbed his dad’s leg and started screaming

‘Daddy, I come in car. I come with you!’

His dad firmly but calmly explained that he was going to stay with mummy for a few days and that he would come and collect him in a few days.

Rio was desperately clinging to his jeans. His face was purple. I just sat back. If I'd spoken, I'd have burst in to tears too and I didn't want him to see I was upset.

Then he said it.

‘But I don't love mommy and I don't stay here. I want come you!! I love daddy’

My blood ran cold. I just broke down. I know he was two but at that moment, all he wanted was his father and I felt it was our fault for separating and he had to deal with all the change. It wasn't fair on him.

I can't remember ever feeling as upset as that. I felt that I'd totally failed as a mother despite my best efforts.

This stage lasted about two weeks. After that he began to settle and even started approaching me for comfort.

Now he is 6 and he is stuck to me like glue. Anybody who even raises their voice to me slightly, Rio will say, ‘ please don't talk to my mum like that. She's my angel’

I haven't failed as a mum, I've a wonderful loving boy. Just like I always dreamed. They all go through stages that cause us to question if we're doing things right.

So that's how my 2 year old made me cry. The most important thing is now he's the reason I smile everyday.



Read other related questions on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2hDjUT0

No comments:

Post a Comment