Thursday, December 29, 2016

What would you do if your teenager not only wanted to have a baby, but expected YOU to take care of the baby?

I'm a teen mom. Well, not a teen anymore since I've hit 20.
I have an almost two year old. I got pregnant my senior year in high school, at 18. I finished the year 20 weeks pregnant and walked the stage with my small baby bump.
I was the type that I worked 2 fulltime jobs while pregnant. I was a manager at a Starbucks (40 hours), and a waitress at a restaurant (35 hours) a week. I finished my high school degree with advanced placement and 32 college credits under my belt.
I now am 20, single mom, have a full-time benefits job, own my home and I'm double majoring in college as a phlebotomist and business management with a minor in Italian (the company I work for wants me to minor). I work full-time, as I said and I volunteer for my externship to get my paramedic certifications and my phlebotomy licensure. I pay in full for childcare expenses, and receive no child support/help from my ex, or his family.
I have never once EXPECTED my mom to help out with my daughter, but she gladly helps out whenever I need, such as for classes, or when I have to volunteer.
NOW, I have a friend who's 19, with her second child due any day (with a different man), and she doesn't work, doesn't have a GED, parties 99% of the time she doesn't have her daughter (the father & her have a 50/50 custody agreement). Her mom pays all of her bills, all of everything and yet, her mom's EXCITED about having a second grandchild.
So there's easily two types of teen parents in the world. I will raise my daughter to do the same that I've done. Working my butt off to make everything I can for myself, and for my daughter. My mom chose when to have kids. I chose when to have a child [even if she's a surprise, there's always options to whether or not you keep the pregnancy/child.]. She did not choose for me to have a kid, therefore she has no reason to HAVE to raise her.
My opinion though, I guess. Some teens are too immature and view having a baby basically like owning a new handbag. Something they can pick up/put down whenever they want.

EDIT 5/18/16: I apologize for not answering the question in giving the two types of teen parents out there. If my daughter turned out to become pregnant, then expect me to raise the baby, I wouldn't. I'd help her when she needed but I would not raise that baby for her, and let her take the "easy" road. I never relied on my parents, she shouldn't rely on me, except to help when needed.

EDIT 5/18/16: I have, at this current moment, dropped my paramedic certification course, and phlebotomy certifications (labs will interfere with my job) and chosen to set up to try and complete these in the spring semester of 2017, as well as I have taken a break from volunteering so I can work full-time, focus on my business management degree (which will help my full-time job as possible promotions) and focus more on my daughter. I have also begun receiving child support from my ex, as many of you have suggested, and begun to contribute that to the college/emergency fund I have for my daughter.



Read other answers by Kelsey Hicks on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2hwPuAt

No comments:

Post a Comment