Monday, October 31, 2016

Would NASA reject someone from their astronaut training program due to their spouse's occupation?

Can't say that I know the direct answer to that question, but I can speak from some experience about spousal occupations.  When I was first selected as an ASCAN (astronaut candidate) in 1998, my wife worked for the Mission Operations Directorate (MOD) in the training division.  In their infinite wisdom, the MOD Training Division management and the Astronaut Office decreed that my wife was a threat to our (my) training.  Since the Astronaut Office had now initiated protocols that we start taking exams to help qualify us as astronaut candidates of worth (this was due to some problems with the selection of the previous class in 1996), the MOD Training Division management dictated that my wife's position within the training organization could help me cheat on those exams and that she could also get access to the training records and change my grades!  Can you believe that?  Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

BTW, when I took my very first exam as an astronaut candidate --it was a general exam on the International Space Station-- I was the first "student" to exit the testing room.  I rose from my seat about 12 minutes after having first entered the room; my test complete after going over my answers three times!  My grade?  100%  I didn't need to cheat.


Read other answers by Clayton C. Anderson on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2f3B08z

No comments:

Post a Comment