Sunday, October 30, 2016

What are some of your deepest and most horrifying secrets that only you know about?

I was once on a grand jury in Texas. And I couldn’t believe how I was the sole dissenter (or assenting person) far too much of the time.

Prosecutors would word things in whatever twisted way they could to get what they wanted - either a true bill or no bill. And law enforcement get away with damn near anything. It’s there I learned that there is no real justice and that if someone wants to accuse you of a felony, your life is in the hands of twelve gullible sponges willing to give the powers that be whatever they want so they can take their paycheck and go home. Or because they’re afraid to be the one who cares more about justice than what the prosecutor wants.

I think about some of the people whose lives we ruined unfairly by us true billing their cases. And I think about some of the people who will be forever tormented because the people who made them suffer were let off the hook when they shouldn’t have been.

I am legally obligated to take every conversation I heard and every image I saw in that room to my grave. I can never tell anyone about some of the most deeply troubling trends I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. I couldn’t sleep at night before. I certainly can’t now.



Read other related questions on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2f40n9R

No comments:

Post a Comment