Tuesday, December 20, 2016

What are some important and generalizable life lessons?

Life isn't fair

I was originally going to make this headline, "You don't always get what you deserve," but I went with the broader version.  The "deserve" part is one that has been really helpful to me as I navigate various rough patches in my life. By ridding myself of the notion that I "deserve" anything--whether as punishment or reward--I can simply look at what is and respond appropriately.

But more generally, it's important to keep in mind that people have motives that have nothing to do with you, there are all sorts of randomizing forces at work every day. Sometimes things tilt in your favor, sometimes they don't. It isn't fair. There's no divine justice.  There's just your life, which you get to live in whatever mood you want, and the "why me" mood can get old pretty quickly.


Read other answers by Carolyn Abram on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2hQYs9W

No comments:

Post a Comment