Monday, January 30, 2017

If I get caught cheating on a technical interview, will I be blacklisted from that company forever?

At my previous job I did a phone screen of a candidate who answered my questions appropriately. I sent him a coding assignment to see his level of skill in PHP at the time, and he sent it back in a few days and it looked great. I called him to come on-site, and when he arrived, I told him that we'd be working on his code submission to add a few features or to fix a few bugs, and he got a scared look on his face and he fumbled around quite a lot trying to track down where some bugs were.

After watching him struggle for several minutes, I asked him if he was the person who wrote the code. He admitted to me that he had a friend write the code. We tried to make progress in adding those features and fixing those bugs, but it was clear that his programming skills and debugging skills were very weak and he was therefore not suitable as a candidate. But first and foremost, he lied to us by submitting code that was not his, and we blacklisted him from ever applying at our company again.

If you cheat, it proves that you're a dishonest person, and very few companies will want to risk hiring such a person.


Read other answers by Ian Douglas on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2jMnBFu

No comments:

Post a Comment