Monday, January 30, 2017

What has been the biggest plot twist in your life?

In the years leading up to 2007 I was on top of the world. Three kids, a beautiful house, a high six-figure job, a professional wife. We were doing really well. Living in Texas grilling hot dogs by the pool. Then the economy collapsed.

I lost my company, and therefore my job and my retirement. I couldn’t find work for more than a year and my wife’s salary didn’t pay all the bills, so we burned through our savings and eventually lost the house and cars.

I finally had to move to Europe to find a job where the economy was doing much better. After settling in, my wife found she didn’t like living in Germany. She left me with the three kids (she was their step mom), returned to the states and filed for divorce.

After one year, the company I worked for shut down its German office so I was laid off again. But this time we were literally stranded in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language and didn’t have enough money to move back to the states.

With what little money we had, the kids and I moved into a one-bedroom flat in a house full of Albanian gypsies who couldn’t speak any English. We lived with them for two years, communicating only through hand-gestures, until the economy recovered enough that I found work again back in the US.

Now I’m back where I started from, with my kids, with a new German wife who I brought back with me, and a really great job. I hope that plot twist never happens again.



Read other answers by Ron Wiseman on Quora: Read more answers on Quora.

from Quora http://ift.tt/2jvxl3u

No comments:

Post a Comment